Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Peril of Pride– Day 344 Through the Bible

My Meditations on Today’s Readings
(Ellipses are mine and are used for contemplation.)

Key Words/Phrases: When they were filled and their heart was exalted, they forgot Me; I will ransom them from the power of the grave; Return to the LORD, your God; I will heal their backsliding; deliver, preserve, keep me, O LORD; man’s pride will bring him low; the Revelation of Jesus Christ

Plenty, Pride, Self-Exaltation – Hosea 13 and 14 – (Facts: What It Says – Summarized) Arrogance and Self-Enthronement:  I knew you in the wilderness in the land of great drought.  When they had pasture, they were filled; they were filled, and their heart was exalted.  Therefore…they forgot Me.” God’s Pronouncements:  1) Yet I…am the LORD your God ever since the land of Egypt, and you shall know no God but Me, for there is no savior besides Me. 2) O, Israel you are destroyed, but…your help is from Me. Where is any other that he might save you? 3) Your iniquity, your sin is stored up. 4) I…will ransom them from the power of he grave; I…will redeem them from death. God’s Call to His People: O, Israel, return to the LORD your God.  How Can They Do This? 1) Take words with you, and return to the LORD. 2) Say…take away all iniquity; receive us…graciously…for….we will offer the sacrifices of our lips. 3) Assyria will not save us, nor will we say  anymore to the works of our hands, ‘You are our gods.' 4) For…in You…the fatherless finds mercy. The Resulting Blessings If They Do This: 1) I will heal their backsliding. 2) I will love them freely, 3) for my anger has turned away from him. 4) I will be like the dew to Israel; he shall grow, lengthen his roots, spread his branches, his beauty shall be like an olive tree, his fragrance like Lebanon, those who dwell under his shadow shall return, be revived and grow.  Wisdom in Obeying God’s Word: Who is wise?  Let him…understand these things.  Who is prudent? Let him…know them.  For…the ways of the LORD are right.  The righteous…walk in them, but transgressors...stumble in them.  Principle: One of the most powerful sermons I ever heard was a warning of man’s history with the cycle of pride.  Times of plenty are when God’s people have left Him.  In times of trouble and affliction, we tend to draw near to Him.  In plenty, comes pride, then self-exaltation, then self as god (narcissism), then a broken relationship with God, followed by broken relationships with others and then destruction.  This is what happened in this account.  God gives the remedy:  Repent, and return to Him.

The Spirit of Humility Before God When Facing the Proud – Psalm 140: 1-5 – (Facts: What It Says – Summarized) Deliver me…preserve me…keep me from evil, wicked, violent men who have…planned…evil things in their hearts…continually…gather together…for war…sharpen their tongues like a serpent…purposed…to make my steps stumble.  The proud…have hidden a snare…for me…and cords; they have…spread a net…by the wayside; they…have set…traps for me.  Principle:  God has warned us to not take vengeance ourselves but to leave that to Him. Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. (Romans 12:19)  This is the example for the godly person being persecuted by the proud and arrogant who seek to manipulate and destroy others for their own pleasure or personal gain.
The ULTIMATE Result of Pride and Humility – Proverbs 29:23 – (Facts: What It Says) A man’s pride…will…bring him low, but the humble in spirit…will…retain honor.  Principle:  Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall. (Proverbs 16:18) This fall of the proud and arrogant is a common theme in the Bible.  Note that the one who is humble in spirit is rewarded by maintaining…retaining…”keeping possession of, keeping hold of, holding on to, hanging on to…his honor…what he already possesses…not wealth, riches, prestige, status…but honor.  

Humility Before and In God’s Word – Revelation 1 – (Facts: What It Says – Summarized) The Beginning of the Revelation: The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants things which must shortly take place.  1) Blessed…is he who reads…hears…keeps…those things written in the words of this prophecy.  2) Grace…to you and…peace…from Him…who is…and who was…and who is to come. 3) From Jesus Christ…the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. 4) To Him…who loved us…and washed us from our sins in His own blood, 5) who has made…us…kings and priests…to His God and Father, 6) to Him…be glory…and dominion…forever and ever. 7) Behold, He is coming…with clouds…and every eye will see Him…even they who pierced Him.  8) I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day…and I heard…’What you see, write in a book and send it to the seven church which are in Asia.’ 9) And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead.  But He…laid His right hand on me, saying to me, ‘Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last.  I am He who lives and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore.  Amen.  And I have the keys of Hades and Death.’  Principle: The same response is noted with the saints and sinners (Abram, Isaiah, Ezekiel, the people, Moses and Aaron, Balaam, Joshua, David, Daniel, John, the angels and the four beasts, the four and twenty elders) when beholding the glory of God: they fell on their faces. In most cases this was as they were hearing Him speak.  This is John’s reaction and will be that of the angels and the four beasts and the 24 elders as the Revelation of Jesus Christ unfolds.

My Lessons and Applications:  Pride and Arrogance resulting in sin, iniquity, attacks against the godly, forgetting God, enthroning self as god– these were the manifestations of evil in each of our readings today.  The power, presence, and prophecy of God and Jesus Christ reverberate as juxtapositions of these throughout today’s readings.  A humble spirit before God is seen as repentant, returning to God, retaining honor, obedient to His calling and revelation…to His Word.  Am I listening to God or to the world?  Am I so enmeshed in the routine of life, in my own ruminations, that I am unable to hear God?  When I begin to stray, to allow pride to creep in to my life, to backslide, am I able to humbly return to God, to ask for His forgiveness, to ask Him to “take away all my iniquity?”  Is He the Lord of my life, or am I claiming lordship over my own soul and life?  How will the re-reading and meditation of The Revelation affect me?

                    And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead.  (Revelation 1:17)
                                                                       
It may be that like the apostle John you know Jesus Christ intimately, when suddenly He appears with no familiar characteristic at all, and the only thing you can do is to fall at His feet as dead.  There are times when God cannot reveal Himself in any other way than in His majesty, and it is the awfulness of the vision which brings you to the delight of despair; if you are ever raised up it must be by the Hand of God.  In the midst of the awfulness, a touch comes, and you know it is the right hand of Jesus Christ…and the sense that “underneath are the everlasting arms.”     
Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment