Monday, December 16, 2013

Set Apart - Day 349 Through the Bible

Toe River Chamber Ensemble - 2013 Holiday Concert - First Baptist Church, Burnsville, NC on Tuesday, December 17, 7:00 FREE and open to the public
My Meditations on Today’s Readings
(Ellipses are mine and are used for contemplation.)

Key Words/Phrases:  Hear this, you who swallow up the needy and make the poor of the land fail; Behold the days are coming/in that day (x 5); Yet I will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob; Hear my prayer, O LORD; What is His name, and what is His Son’s name, if you know? He opened the seals; come and see, look

Set Apart – A Remnant – Amos 8 and 9 – (Facts: What It Says – Summarized) Israel’s End: The end has come upon My people Israel. I will not pass by them anymore. The songs will become wailing…dead bodies everywhere.  Hear this, you who swallow up the needy, and make the poor of the land fail, saying, ‘When will the New Moon end…that we may sell…grain? And the Sabbath…that we made trade…wheat…making the ephah small and the shekel large…falsifying the scales…by deceitTHAT…we may buy the poor for silver…and the needy for a pair of sandals…even sell the bad wheat?  The LORD’s Promise: Surely...I will never forget…any…of their works; the land shall tremble; everyone in it shall mourn…and it shall come to pass in that day…I will make the sun go down at noon; I will darken the earth; I will turn your feasts into mourning, and all your songs into lamentations.  Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord God.  I will set my eyes on them for harm and not for good.  Behold, the eyes of the Lord GOD are on the sinful kingdom, and I will destroy it from the face of the earth…yet…I will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob,’ says the LORD. All the sinners…of my people…shall die by the sword, who say…’The calamity shall not overtake nor confront us.’  On that day I will…raise up, repair, rebuild …the tabernacle of David…that…they may possess…the remnant of Edom and all the Gentiles who are called by My name.  I will bring back the captives of My people Israel, and they shall build, inhabit, plant, drink, and no longer be pulled up from the land I have given them, says the LORD your God.  Principle:  God’s Chosen People will face destruction for their sins, but a remnant will be saved – including the Gentiles who are called by His name.

The Set-Apart King From Whom the Messiah Will Come – Psalm 143: 1-6 – (Facts: What It Says – Summarized) How “The Man After God’s Own Heart” Prayed: Hear my prayer, O LORD, Give ear to my supplications.  In Your faithfulness…answer me, and in Your righteousness…do not enter into judgment with…Your servantfor…in Your sight…no one living is righteous. King David’s Distress: The enemy has persecuted…my soul; he has crushed…my life…to the ground; he has made me dwell in darkness, like those who have long been dead.  THEREFORE…my spirit is overwhelmed within me; my heart within me is distressed.  What the Greatest King of Israel Does: I remember…the days of old; I meditate onall Your words; I muse onthe work of Your hands.  I spread out my handsto You; My soul longs forYou…like a thirsty land.  Selah  Principle:  Even the greatest king of Israel, from whose lineage the Messiah would come, dealt with great depression, distress, and persecution.  But he always found his solace and his help in his close, intimate relationship with God. (For the meaning of “Selah”)

The Eternal Question to the Set-Apart, the Chosen, the Elect – Proverbs 30:1-4 (Facts: What It Says) Augur’s Great Question: I neither learned wisdom…nor have knowledge of the Holy One.  Who has ascended into heaven, or descended?  Who has gathered the wind in His fists?  Who has bound the waters in a garment?  Who has established all the ends of the earth?  What is His name, and what is His Son’s name, if you know?  Principle:  As believers we are called to be holy, which is “set apart.”  How do we as believers answer those who ask us for the hope that is within us (1 Peter 3:15)?  How do we declare His name and His Son’s name to those who “have no knowledge of the Holy One?”  This is why we must know Him intimately and learn and share with others the entirety of His Word that reveals Him.  This is our Great Commission from our Lord (Matt. 28:16-20.)

The Set-Apart Saints in The Revelation – Revelation 6 – (Facts: What It Says – Summarized) The Lamb opens the seals; each living creature commands John to come and see.  The First Four Seals – The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse:  1) A white horse – he who sat on it had a…bow.  And…a crown was given to him.  He went out…conquering and to conquer. 2) A fiery red horse…and it was granted…to the one who sat on it…to take peace from the earth...and that…people should kill one another.  There was given to him a great sword. 3) A black horse…and he who sat on it had a pair of scales in his hand.  4) A pale horse…and the name of him who sat on it was Death, and Hades followed with him.  And power…was given to them…over a fourth of the earth…to kill with sword, with hunger, with death, and by the beasts of he earth. The Fifth Seal – the Martyred Saints:  When he opened the fifth seal, I saw…under the altar…the souls…of those who had been slain…for the word of God…and for…the testimony…which they held.  And they cried out with a loud voice, saying, ‘How long, O Lord, holy and true, until You judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?  Then a white robe was given to each of them…and it was said to them that they should rest a little while, until both the number…of their fellow servants and their brethren…who would be killed…as they were, was completed. The Sixth Seal – Cataclysmic Disaster: There was an earthquake…the sun became black as sackcloth…the moon became like blood…the stars of heaven fell to the earth…the sky receded as a scroll when it is rolled up…and every mountain and island was moved out of its place. All the kings, great men, rich men, commanders, mighty men, slave and free hid themselves in the caves and the rocks of the mountains and said to the mountains and rocks, ‘Fall on us and hide us from….the face of Him who sits on the throne and…from the wrath of the Lamb. For the great day of His wrath has come, and who is able to stand?' Principle:  The Apocalypse is revealed.  Things will look and get worse before they get better. The souls of additional martyred saints will join those under the altar until judgment of the unbelieving world is complete.  But hope is not lost for the saints.  They are “set apart” for their coming reign with Christ after the judgment of the world.  Charles Stanley: Life Principles Daily Bible, -pg. 1522: The ungodly know this is the day of His wrath, and ask, ‘Who is able to stand?’ The believer knows the answer.  Even though every aspect of worldly security is stripped from the earth, as a believer you are clothed with the heavenly security of Christ.  You will never lack hope because you will never have to fear the presence of the King upon His throne.  You have been clothed with God’s promise, so rejoice in your confidence and security.

My Lessons and Applications: How do I handle the knowledge that I am “set apart” by God.  Christ’s righteousness is imputed to me, and I am, therefore, holy before God – not because of my merits but because of Christ’s blood sacrifice for me.  How do I live out this holiness?  What might the cost of this be? How can I remain steadfast unless I am continuously in His Word, in prayer, in an intimate relationship with Him?  If the great King David knew and did this, how can I not?  How does the knowledge of the martyred saints affect me?  Does the hatred and mockery of the world toward “Christ in me” give me cause to rejoice and stand firm or withdraw and cower?  What if Christ should ask for more from me – all my possessions, all I have spent my life building, or my very life?  Charles Stanley, Ibid, pg. 1521: Godly people have always died for the faith - from Abel at the beginning to Antipas (Gen 4:8 and Rev. 2:13) and these unnamed martyrs in Revelation 6:9 at the end of time. God sometimes requires that His people sacrifice their lives for Him.

Remain true to the faith.  Acts 14: 22

Perseverance is the sign of a true saint.  Dear brothers and sisters, conquest by God’s power has made you what you are, and continuing to conquer must sustain you.  Your motto must be: “Exceslsior” – Latin for “ever upward.”  The only true conqueror is the one who receives a crown at the end – he who perseveres until the war trumpet ceases to blow. 

Thus our perseverance is the target of all our spiritual enemies.  The world will not object to your being a Christian for a time of if it can tempt you to stop your pilgrimage and, ultimately, get you to trade with it in Vanity Fair.  The flesh will seek to ensnare you and prevent you from pressing on to glory, saying,  “It’s tiring work being a pilgrim.  Give it up.  Must I always be put to death and never be indulged?”

Satan himself will make many fierce attacks on our perseverance.  He will strive to hinder you in your service by insinuating you are not accomplishing any good. That you need rest, to make you weary of suffering and whisper to you, “Curse God and die!” (Job 2:9).  Or he will attack your steadfastness, saying,  “What is the good of being so zealous?  Keep quiet like everyone else, sleep as others do, and let your lamp go out as other virgins do.” (Matt. 25:1-13).  Or he will assault your doctrine saying, “Why do you believe these denominational creeds?  Sensible people are becoming more liberal and are removing the old fundamentals of he faith.  Get with the times!”

Therefore, dear Christian, take up your shield, fasten your armor, and cry out mightily to God, praying that by His Spirit you may endure to the end.
Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

No comments:

Post a Comment