Saturday, December 21, 2013

Bringing Us Forth to Perfect Light!---Day 354 Through the Bible



What has God done that one would dare take issue with Him?  And what does God really require of us?  These questions are addressed in today's reading in the book of Micah. God says, "Arise, plead your case before the mountains, and let the hills hear your voice. . .for the Lord has a complaint against His people, and He will contend with Israel" (7:1, 2).  "And how have I wearied you?  Testify against Me".  God reviews His redemption of Israel from Egypt and asks them to remember His kindness toward them.  Micah asks, "With what shall I come before the Lord, . . with calves. . .with a thousand rams. . ten thousand rivers of oil. . .my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?" (v. 6, 7).

"He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?" (v. 8).  God goes on to say, "Shall I count pure those with the wicked scales, and with the bag of deceitful weights?" (v. 11). Deceit flies in the face of the holiness of God and God says this, "Therefore I will also make you sick by striking you, by making you desolate because of your sins". (v.13).

Chapter 7, describes an extent of wickedness that is disturbing: "The faithful man has perished from the earth, and there is no one upright among men.  They all lie in wait for blood; every man hunts his brother with a net. That they may successfully do evil with both hands" (v. 2, 3).  Verses 5 & 6, reveals a scenario of contention among friends and family.  Micah's response to such an evil time? "Therefore I will look to the Lord" (v. 7).
Micah acknowledges that he has sinned against God, yet he presents his plan for trusting God in order to rise above his sin.  "When I fall, I will arise; when I sit in darkness, the Lord will be a light to me" (v. 8).  Micah does not depend on himself, but depends on God.  "I will bear the indignation of the Lord, because I have sinned against Him, until He pleads my case and executes justice for me.  He will bring me forth to the light; I will see His righteousness" (v. 9).

A willingness to be "shepherded" by God, yielding to His "staff" results in blessings and bringing glory to God's name. "Who is a God like You, pardoning iniquity and passing over the transgression of the remnant of His heritage?" (v. 14-18).  Psalm 145:14-16, picks up this same theme of God's goodness.  "The Lord upholds all who fall, and raises up all who are bowed down.  The eyes of all look expectantly to You, and You give them their food in due season.  You open Your hand and satisfy the desire of every living thing"!  How can I not desire to be led by God when I consider His kindness and love?

Revelation 11, introduces the reader to "the two witnesses", their testimonies, their deaths, their resurrection, and their ascension to heaven in a cloud, which is accompanied by a great earthquake.  "In the earthquake seven thousand people were killed, and the rest were afraid and gave glory to the God of heaven" (v. 13).  In verse 15, the seventh angel sounds "and there were loud voices in heaven, saying, 'The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!'"  (Each time I read these words this triumphant phrase is accompanied in my mind by the music from Handel's Messiah!) The twenty-four elders reveal the setting of this occurrence: "The nations were angry, and Your wrath has come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and You should reward Your servants the prophets and the saints, and those who fear Your name, small and great, and should destroy those who destroy the earth" (v. 18).  "Then the temple of God was opened in heaven, and the ark of His covenant was seen in His temple.  And there were lightnings, noises, thunderings, an earthquake, and great hail" (v. 19).  This is an awesome description of heavenly things to come!  As a child of the King, I can respond to these verses with all my heart and honestly cry out, "Thy kingdom come!--soon, dear Father, really soon"!

No comments:

Post a Comment