Saturday, May 11, 2013

Inspiration, Information and Lessons--Day 131 Through the Bible

                                 Experiencing the Word of God is as refreshing as enjoying a mountain stream.

There were several scripture passages and comments by Dr. Stanley in today's study that made impressions on my mind more so than others. The most informative part of the study for me was the background Dr. Stanley gave on baptism and the heralding of the Messiah by John the Baptist.  Before reading "Welcoming the King", I did not know that baptism was already a custom at the time. Dr. Stanley writes, "When Gentiles converted to Judaism, they were baptized to show a complete, all-encompassing change of attitude.  They went from knowledge of false god to recognition of the one true God".  He also says that John "told the multitudes that the attitude for receiving Christ was repentance and that it was only through that lowly heart of one regretting their sin that the King could truly be welcomed".

My eyes were also opened to two lessons regarding the influence of others which leads me to consider my own influence on people.  When Saul was in the cave, the men of David encouraged him that the Lord had delivered Saul into his hand.  David acted on what they said, however he only cut off a corner of Saul's robe--he did not take Saul's life even though he could have done so.  I know that I am sometimes easily influenced by others--I think we all like to please people. However, we must have enough discernment and self-discipline to filter suggestions and ideas through thought processes that are hopefully inspired by a close relationship with God, His Word, and the Holy Spirit.  After David carried out this minor infraction against Saul, he realized he should not have disrespected "God's anointed" in this manner.  I must not allow myself to fall prey to bad advice or suggestion.  I will answer to God for what I do, including how I respond to less than godly influence.

Abigail, on the other hand, was influenced in a positive manner.  One of the young men pointed out to Abigail all the good that David and his army had done for them.  He brought out the truth of the situation to her and encouraged her to "know and consider what you will do, for harm is determined against our master and against all his household". He was not afraid to share his observation with her that "(Nabal) is such a scoundrel that one cannot speak to him". Because of one young man's influence Nabal's household was spared.

I would do well to remember that I am naturally negative because of my human nature.  I once heard someone say that our first reaction is always negative and I think this is probably true. That is why it is important to not "react", but to give it some thought and then "respond".  Before I respond--before I step up to influence someone, hopefully I can bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ" (2 Corinthians 10:5), resulting in a positive, godly outcome.

These two lessons remind me of the men who spied out Canaan. Some of them gave a negative report, allowing their fear and personal feelings to color the facts and project defeat. Their report is referred to as "an evil report" in Numbers 13:32.  Their report resulted in crying and murmuring by the people of Israel and a plan to return to Egypt.  Joshua and Caleb gave a more realistic report, without the negative emotions, and by adding God to the equation.  The result of negative influence here was that Israel was condemned to forty years wandering in the wilderness. Joshua and Caleb were the only ones living at the time who God allowed to enter the Promised Land.  Will the influence I exert on others result in a positive or negative outcome?  How we influence others is obviously a serious matter to God.

Proverbs 16:3, proved to be my inspiration for today.  "Commit your works to the Lord, and your thoughts will be established."  (I know we're not in Numbers, but this is exactly what Caleb did in bringing his report about Canaan. He committed the outcome to God and this resulted in his positive outlook about possessing the land--his thoughts were established.)  But, how do we do this?  Dr. Stanley gives an excellent explanation: "Not merely by asking Him to bless what we've already done, but by committing ourselves and our plans to Him before, during, and after we have done our work".  I read somewhere this week that when we do not commit things to prayer, we are basically saying, "I can handle this on my own".  This has encouraged me to really think about whether or not I am asking God to be involved in all situations in my life.

We complete today's study in the book of John, as Jesus began calling His first disciples.  We see the new disciples calling brothers and friends to Jesus.  Nathaniel believed Jesus was the Son of God because Jesus told him He saw him under a fig tree before Philip called him.  Jesus told him if he was impressed with what he saw Jesus do in the physical realm, to just wait until he saw what was happening in the spiritual realm. "Because I said to you, 'I saw you under the fig tree,' do you believe? You will see greater things than these.  Most assuredly, I say to you, hereafter you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man."  I Corinthians 2:9, sums it up this way, "It has not entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love Him".

No comments:

Post a Comment