Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Unwitting Agents and God's Grace - Day 30 Through the Bible

The award-winning Parkway Playhouse in our historic hometown of Burnsville, NC - the oldest continuously operating summer theater in North Carolina


The Great Drama Before Us and Lessons Learned

1) "God uses His enemies and ours as unwitting agents in accomplishing His Will." (Author Unknown) - Ex. 9:16 God speaking to Pharaoh -But indeed I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.  We will see this throughout our year of study.  We know He uses His people in the Bible - and us - today, but He also uses His enemies and ours.  Am I able to look at difficult people from this perspective?  Can I view the lives of those who have deliberately, intentionally, malevolently harmed me as being used by God for a greater good - as part of His overall Plan?  This should make it much easier for me to rest in "Vengeance is Mine, says the LORD."


2)  God brings us out of bondage to serve Him. (Ex. 9:1 and stated numerous times throughout the Exodus saga) Let My people go, that they may serve Me (emphasis mine). Songs and quotes used in our culture based on this Biblical account almost invariably leave off the second part of the command.  My salvation is free - of grace only.  But my works - my service back to God - is evidence of that salvation and my devotion to Him. (James 2:26)  As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead. And recall this from Jesus in our study this week (Matt 16:27): For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to His works. Is my service to Him - or for others or myself?  Is my life being used to bring glory to God?


3) Arise, O LORD...Confront...Cast down....Deliver (Ps. 17:18-15) This is a daily prayer of mine - that God will bring down corruption in all its forms, in all places in our nation and around the world while keeping us as believers "under the shadow of His wing, as the apple of His eye."  Am I renewing my mind daily with God's Word and walking in His light - in every conversation, situation, decision of my life?  Am I following the Holy Spirit's leading in each moment - both for intercessory prayer on behalf of others and in keeping my walk pure before God?


4) God sees the oppression of His people.  He WILL act, in His time, in His Way, for His glory.  Just as with the Israelites in Egypt, with Joseph in His trials, from Day 1 of this study through the Bible and throughout our lives, God is omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent.  He loves us.  We are the "apple of His eye."  His Master Plan is to bring us into a closer relationship with Him for all eternity.  For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and He ponders all his paths. (Proverbs 5:21-23)  The world will always try to pull us away from this eternal perspective.  Only my most treasured times alone with Him keep me in this truth.  How, then, could He allow all this to happen me?  For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, unless you grow weary and become discouraged in your souls. Heb. 12:3  Turn your eyes upon Jesus.


5) Amazing Grace- Matthew 10:1-16 When I look at this teaching of Jesus from an economic perspective, it screams unfairness.  We see way too much of this today with those who do the most efficient, effective work getting less than those who might even bring corporations down and walk away with millions in bonuses.  Again, I have to strip away the veneer of the world to get down to the meat of the gospel.  It is not about money - imagine this!  It is about grace.  It is about there being enough of His marvelous, amazing grace for those who have believed from childhood, to those coming to Him as an adolescent, as an adult, as an elderly person, as a person lying on his deathbed - at every hour, at every stage and age of life.  It is, I believe, also about those first sent out into kingdom work, those not yet chosen..it is about me...it is maybe about you.  "Many are called, but few are chosen", Jesus says (the doctrine of election again).  Are we standing where we need to be...ready for Him to choose us...to send us into His vineyard to work...to bring in His harvest...to glorify Him?


No comments:

Post a Comment