Thursday, January 24, 2013

Family Relations 101--Day 24 of Through the Bible



                             A favorite mountain tradition are family reunions centered around               
                                        an annual "Decoration Day at the family cemetery.          
                            Families place flowers on loved ones graves, meet friends and family
                                             and then enjoy a picnic or meal together.

January 24

Genesis 47:29-30
The subject of today’s study in Genesis might easily be titled, Family Relations 101. Jacob knew the end of his life was drawing near and even his plans for his own burial included his desire for his body to be buried alongside his deceased family members. He made Joseph promise he would not bury him in Egypt. This family was large and had been through a great deal, yet the family was intact when Jacob came to the end of his life.
Lesson: There is a blessing in being able to trust family members.
How to apply it: Set an example of honesty and integrity for my family; uphold these values in all that I undertake. Develop a reputation of  being trustworthy. Speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15). Always keep my word!

Verse 3: Jacob recognized God’s hand in his life and recounted the ways God had blessed him.
Lesson: It is important to see God’s hand in our lives and to remember the ways He has blessed us. Recounting our blessings creates an increased awareness of God and keeps us from drifting away from Him, as well as increasing our faith.
How to apply it: Make a point of recognizing blessings and answers to prayer; write them in a journal along with the date. Give thanks to God for all He does for us.

Verse 10: Jacob kissed his grand sons & embraced them.
Lesson: Show affection to family members.
How to apply it: Intentionally be affectionate to my family. Tell them how much I love them and how special they are to me. Make amends where needed and never hesitate to be the first to say "I'm sorry". Always say  goodbye to each and every one before leaving a family get-together. It could be my last opportunity to tell someone how much I appreciate and love them.

Verse 11: And Israel said to Joseph, “I had not thought to see your face; but in fact, God has also shown me your offspring”.
Lesson: God goes above and beyond what we expect. God is generous!
How to apply it: Practice generosity in what I do for others, especially where my family is concerned. Surprise them on occasion with unexpected acts of kindness. Seek to be known as a generous person.

Verse 21: Then Israel said to Joseph, “Behold, I am dying, but God will be with you and bring you back to the land of your fathers”.
Lesson: I will one day have to say goodbye to my earthly family; I can experience peace knowing I am leaving them in God’s care.
How to apply it: Recognize that my life will have an end. Use my time wisely. Ask God to help me live in such a way that should I die unexpectedly there will be no unfinished business with anyone—especially a family member. Pray for each family member on a regular basis; ask God to take care of them and bless them especially when I am gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment