Sunday, January 27, 2013

Professing vs. Possessing Faith - Day 27 Through the Bible

Town Square in our historic hometown - Burnsville, NC - the site of  our community prayer gatherings

My Lessons and Applications from Today's Readings

1) Burning Bush Experiences - Moses deliberately turned aside to contemplate this phenomenon (Gen. 3:3)  This is where the Angel of the Lord (most NT scholars believe this to be the pre-incarnate Christ) appeared and spoke to Moses.  This was evidently a normal day, doing his everyday job of shepherding the flock.  God calls him to a different flock to shepherd - His people, Israel.  Am I watching and listening for God in the routine of daily life?  Am I doing "my utmost for His highest" where I am, understanding that this may be a preparation time for another calling?  Lesson:  "Work as unto the Lord", but never let work take precedence over my relationship and time with the Lord.  Look for Him everywhere in all things.

2) Humility or Obstinacy - Ex. 3-4 Here I am, Lord.  Send Aaron! Both the Genesis and Matthew readings today give great lessons in humility.  Moses was called the most humble/meek man on earth (Numbers 12:3).  But even he roused the Lord's anger with his hesitancy/self-debasement - "Who am I?...(It's not who you are, Moses, but Who I AM) but suppose they will not believe me, suppose they say...(What's that in your hand - OK, Moses, here's a miracle and 2 others for you to convince them)...but I'm not eloquent...slow of speech and tongue...(I made you, "I will be with your mouth and teach you what to say"(v. 11)..oh, Lord, please - send somebody else (v. 13)...the anger of the Lord was kindled against Moses (v 14).  Why will I not take God at His Word?  Why do I continue to want more signs and more proof that this is a calling from Him? (Matthew 12:39 - a wicked and adulterous generation wants more signs.)  Jesus says we must be converted to be as humble as a young child to be the greatest in heaven - this doesn't come naturally - we must change - learn to trust Him. (Matthew 18: 2-5)

3) Warnings - Both the Proverbs and Matthew readings have warnings regarding certain human relationships.  In Proverbs 5:1-6 a father warns his son of the danger and destruction of an immoral woman and the essence of hearing, obeying, preserving, keeping wisdom, discretion, understanding and knowledge to avoid this pitfall.  Jesus warns against the eternal damnation of anyone causing "any of these little ones who believe in Me to sin...Take heed, that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven.  (Matt. 18:6,10)  
Am I maintaining this perspective of avoiding the pitfalls of immorality and making sure that my actions and words do not cause children or others to sin?

4) Evangelism - "For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost." (Matt 3:11)  Are we reaching out to our families, our community, our nation, our world - not to condemn - but to bring the gospel to all people (adults and children) - of every nation, tribe, language and people? (Rev 5:9)

5) Restoring Relationships in the Church - (Matt 18:15) Jesus says the first step is to go and tell the brother that sinned against you - "between you and him alone."  If he will not hear, then take 1 or 2 witnesses; if that fails, then take it to the church.  If that fails, the relationship is to become as with a heathen.  This is severe in its final stage and is Romans 1:24-32 in God's dealing with unrepentant sin. Charles Spurgeon pinpointed a stark distinction in Christendom - professing vs. possessing Christianity.    Do my words, my actions, my life show my possession (not merely the profession) of the gospel of Christ?  Am I willing to restore relationships when possible (in and through Christ) and let them go when not?  Do I follow this mandate of Christ?

6) Binding and Loosing...(Matt. 18:18) - "Assuredly, I say to you whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose one earth, will be loosed in heaven." This was also Jesus's statement to Peter (Matt 16:19) I have read and heard different sermons on this that are not in agreement as to the meaning.  More prayer, meditation and study needed on this to know what the lesson and application might be...

7) Heavenly Impact of Communal Prayer/Gathering (Matt 18:19) "where two of you agree...where two or three or gathered together... Do I remember how sacred and holy worship time is?  Do I recognize that Jesus is there in the midst of us?  Do I remember and utilize the power of prayer - in my own "closet" or together with another believer?  

Be ready for the sudden surprise visits of God.  A ready person never needs to get ready.  Think of the time we waste trying to get ready when God has called!  The burning bush is a symbol of everything that surrounds the ready soul; it is ablaze with the presence of God.  Oswald Chambers - My Utmost for His Highest.

No comments:

Post a Comment