Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Sweeter Than Honey and Taught by God Himself---Day 301 Through the Bible

                       "How sweet are Your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth." Psalm 119:103

  Today's Scripture readings: Jeremiah 43:1-44:30; Psalm 119:97-104; Proverbs 28:3; 2 Timothy 2:1-26

Believers who know and apply the Bible to their lives have an "edge" on those who do not. This is not to be a source of pride and we will see in our reading in Jeremiah today that it is pride that stands in the way and prevents us from obeying God---leaving us without that "edge". In Psalm 119:97, the writer begins, "O how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day". He continues, "You, through Your commandments, make me wiser than my enemies; for they are ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, for Your testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Your precepts. I have restrained my feet from every evil way, that I may keep your word. I have not departed from Your judgments, for You Yourself have taught me. . .Through Your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way" (Psalm 119: 97-104). As this passage says, we are actually being taught by God Himself when we are taught from the Bible. (Something to consider when we sit down to read our Bibles!)

There is no greater foundation for anything we undertake than the truth of God's word. That which is based on deceit and lies will eventually collapse under its own false premises.  We also see in this passage that it is necessary to do more than just read. We are to meditate on them, keep them with us, apply them, exercise restraint, not depart from them, and, as a result of understanding them by application we will hate evil. God's commandments, testimonies, precepts, and judgments are included in "them". The Bible is a treasure trove of understanding and wisdom!  In verse 103, the writer says, "How sweet are Your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth"!

We read in Jeremiah today about "all the proud men" (43:2), who did not want to believe the words God had given Jeremiah and refused to follow God's instructions. The remnant of God's people were told not to move to Egypt, but went anyway. This was considered "wickedness" by God and they became "wasted and desolate" in Egypt. (We will likewise find ourselves "wasted and desolate" when we refuse to follow what God says in His word.) "Therefore your land is a desolation, an astonishment, a curse, and without an inhabitant" (v. 22).

Paul reminds Timothy in 2 Timothy 2:1, that his strength lies in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. Paul reminds him and us that we "must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ" (v. 3). We are not to get caught up in the cares of this life and forget we are in a spiritual battle. Like Timothy, we gain understanding when we consider Paul's words as Timothy was admonished to do, as well as when we consider all the words that "God has breathed" for us in the Bible. Paul was in chains at times, however he did not focus on his chains but considered the fact that "the word of God is not chained" (v. 9). Paul says he endured "for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory" (v. 10).  Striving about words does not profit, but negatively affects those who hear it (v. 14). "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth" (v. 15).

Dr. Stanley writes a section on how to gain spiritual understanding. He says this, "First, we have to consider what God says in His word--ponder it, turn it over in our minds. Then we have to pray that He enlightens our quest for understanding. Both work together."  There is no difference today in how we are to seek God and how Jeremiah, Solomon, the Psalmists, Paul, and Timothy were to seek Him. God wants us to know Him, to know His love and thereby understand it is beneficial for us to obey what He says. God says we will find Him when we seek Him with our whole heart (Deuteronomy 4:29)!


No comments:

Post a Comment