Thursday, October 31, 2013

Of Destruction and Preservation---Day 303 Through the Bible

                                 This picture was taken recently on the Blue Ridge Parkway at Pisgah Inn. 
                                         This tree is American Mountain-Ash which rarely grows below 5,000 ft. in N.C.
                   Its coral fruits are an important food for birds (Wildflowers in Color published by HarperPerennial).

  (Today's Scripture readings: Jeremiah 47:1-48:47; Psalm 119:113-120; Proverbs 28:5; 2 Timothy 4:1-22)

The word of the Lord against the Philistines before Pharoah attacked Gaza--God is faithful in keeping His word. He knows what the future holds--in detail. "The fathers will not look back for their children, lacking courage, because of the day that comes to plunder all the Philistines. The sword of the Lord is unrelenting when He "has given it a charge": and "has appointed it". "O you sword of the Lord, how long until you are quiet? Put yourself into your scabbard, rest and be still (v. 6-7)!

And of Moab (descendants of Lot through an incestuous relationship with his daughter; they led the Israelites into idolatry, would be conquered by Babylon and disappear as a nation), "The sword shall pursue you" (48:2). "For because you have trusted in your works and your treasures, you also shall be taken" (v. 7). God says "Moab has been at ease from his youth. . .nor has he gone into captivity. Therefore his taste remained in him, and his scent has not changed" (v.11). "Moab shall be ashamed of Chemosh (the main god of Moab; child sacrifice was included in the worship of Chemosh). The reason for Moab's destruction?  "Because he exalted himself against the Lord. Moab shall wallow in his vomit" (v. 26). "We have heard the pride of Moab (he is exceedingly proud), of his loftiness and arrogance and pride, and of the haughtiness of his heart" (v. 29).  "Joy and gladness are taken from the plentiful field and from the land of Moab; I have caused wine to fail from the winepresses; no one will tread with joyous shouting--no joyous shouting" (v. 33)!  "The mighty men's hearts in Moab on that day shall be like the heart of a woman in birth pangs. And Moab shall be destroyed as a people, because he exalteth himself against the Lord" (v. 41-42). "Yet I will bring back the captives of Moab in the latter days, says the Lord" (v. 47).

Where do I hide, what do I protect myself with, and what is the source of my hope?  "You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in Your word" (Psalm 119:114). Proverbs 28:5 (the Amplified translation of this verse seems clearer to me) "Evil men do not understand justice, but they who crave and seek the Lord understand it fully."  An example: the depraved worshipers of Chemosh did not understand "justice" for the innocent children sacrificed to their nothing god!  Those who reject the One True God lose touch with reality.

"(God) will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom" (2 Timothy 4:1).  Paul warned, "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine. . .they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables" (v. 3-4).  Paul admonishes Timothy, "but you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry" (v. 5).  Paul knew he was nearing the end of his life and proclaimed his faithfulness and hope with confidence. "For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand.  I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing" (v. 6-8).

Although Paul met with opposition and betrayal he did not focus on what people did, but kept his focus on God and accomplishing the ministry God had given him, "But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that the message might be preached fully through me, and that all the Gentiles might hear" (v. 17).  Paul did not forget God's deliverance during his ministry. "Also I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion", and remained confident that God would take care of him. "And the Lord will deliver me from every evil work and preserve me for His heavenly kingdom. To Him be glory forever and ever. Amen" (v. 18)!  Paul's life would end by execution--God did not fail Paul, but allowed him to be removed from the evil of this world and through the Holy Spirit that dwelt in him, preserved Paul for God's heavenly kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment