Thursday, September 12, 2013

Treasure in Earthen Vessels--Day 254 Through the Bible

                                What have I created---what have I done?  All glory rightly belongs to God!

"But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us"  (2 Corinthians 4:7).

As believers, our power comes from God and not from our "earthen vessels", and the "excellence of the power" is of God, not of us.  The Holy Spirit is a treasure given to us when we believed in order that we might give God glory.  Through this "treasure" we are taught, comforted, and led into all truth.

The Apostle's Perspective
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen.  For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal." ~ Paul (through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit--2 Corinthians 4:16-18).

We have hope beyond this life and as we see our outward body succumbing to the aging process, we can rejoice that our inward person can continue to grow and be renewed although our body is progressively dying. In comparison to our glorious future that is ahead, our trials here can be viewed as only light afflictions. And although we may be hard-pressed, perplexed, persecuted, and even struck down--we are not crushed, not in despair, not forsaken, and not destroyed!  (Paul says in Colossians 3:2-3, "Set your affections on things above, not on things on the earth.  For you are dead, and your life is hidden with Christ in God".)

 The Apostle's Observation
"We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed". (2 Corinthians 4:8-9).

Psalm 106:24-25                      "Then they despised the pleasant land;
                                                They did not believe His word,
                                                But complained in their tents,
                                                And did not heed the voice of the Lord."

Where do I find myself in this equation?  
Do I fail to appreciate this pleasant land in which I live?  
Do I believe God's word?
Does God hear me complaining "in my tent"?
Do I listen and obey God?

Wisdom from Proverbs 25:8-10, in reference to guarding your reputation:
"Do not go hastily to court; For what will you do in the end, when your neighbor has put you to shame?
Debate your case with your neighbor, and do not disclose the secret to another; lest he who hears it expose your shame, and your reputation be ruined."

Do I wisely guard my reputation in all situations?  Do I consider the end result of what I say and do before I speak or take action?  Can I keep information in confidence?  Do I unwisely leave myself open for shame due to foolishness and a lack of self-discipline?

 Isaiah 15:1-16-14, the bitter weeping of Moab in the midst of God's judgment--but, where did they turn?
--Moabites were descendants of Lot, and in particular, the incestuous relationship with his older daughter.
--The Moabites oppressed and invaded Israel--fighting against Saul and against David.
--God would punish Moab for their harsh aggression against His people.
In their destruction the Moabites turned to Dibon (the capital city of Moab and location of the temple of the god Chemosh).  There, they wept over their destruction.
--"And it shall come to pass, when it is seen that Moab is weary on the high place, that he will come to his sanctuary to pray; but he will not prevail" (16:12).  "When the people of Moab experienced God's wrath, they sought their own idols and gods.  Nothing happened, however, because there was no one there to save them.  We seek our own ways of escape in order to get through our daily troubles.  The effect is the same: no pleasure, pastime, or man-made religious idea will come to save us.  Our hope lies in God, the only one who can hear and help" (Life Application Study Bible).

Am I on guard against idolatry or do I seek escape through pleasure, pastimes, and man-made religious ideas?  Am I aware of idolatry in my life?

Am I glorifying God through the treasure of the Holy Spirit that He so lovingly placed in my "earthen vessel" when I believed on His Son as my Savior and Lord?









 

No comments:

Post a Comment