Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Fragrance of Christ---Day 252 Through the Bible

                         Just as the words "Morning Glory" convey beauty to those familiar with this flower,
                           the words "Christ the Lord" convey hope to those who know Him and what His kingdom will bring.

Isaiah 11:1-12:6
In that day--the Day that God will rule on earth as He does in heaven! (This is what we're praying for when we pray "Thy Kingdom come"!) Today's reading in Isaiah brings our attention to a time that is referred to as: "in that day". We are in the interim as was brought out in the sermon at Mt. Celo on Sunday--we are living between the time of Christ's birth and death and the time of His return.

"In that day there shall be a root of Jesse, who shall stand as a banner to the people."  This has been progressing since Jesus lived on earth and commissioned His disciples. His "banner" will reach its fullness at His return--"in that day"!  "And His resting place shall be glorious."  There are beautiful phrases in the Bible that connect with the soul!  This is one of those verses.  To know Christ as our resting place is to experience a place of peace, a place "under the shadow of the Almighty", a place near the Shepherd where "I shall not want".

Psalm 106:6-18
The outcasts of Israel and the dispersed of Judah will be gathered from the four corners of the earth. God knows exactly where to find us.  As a mother knows where her little ones are, God knows our whereabouts and even knows when we sit down and when we rise up. He knows our location and He places us where we need to be in order to fulfill His purposes and plan.  He can "gather us" at any given moment. "There will be a highway for the remnant of His people."  God has every base covered for us. He sets everything up and will bless the remnant of His people with "a highway" when they come out of captivity. In that day water will be drawn with joy from the wells of salvation. (Another of those beautiful verses that nourishes the soul.)  In that day God will be praised "for He has done excellent things"!

Although Israel did not understand God's wonders and did not remember the multitude of His mercies "Nevertheless He saved them for His name's sake, that He might make His mighty power known.
"He rebuked the Red Sea also, and it dried up".  He led them, He saved them, "He redeemed them from the hand of the enemy".  They witnessed His salvation--"they soon forgot His works; they did not wait for His counsel, but lusted exceedingly in the wilderness". (Lessons for us!)

Proverbs and an analogy of silver, and advice for the king:
"Take away the dross from the silver, and it will go to the silversmith for jewelry.  Take away the wicked from before the king, and his throne will be established in righteousness."

2 Corinthians 2:1-17
"But I determined this within myself"-----"that I would not come again to you in sorrow."  We can actually take charge of our behavior--that is if we will take time to consider how we may be affecting others, think about what we can do differently and then determine within ourselves to do it.

Paul encouraged the Corinthian church to forgive and comfort "the man" who had received "punishment". "Lest perhaps such a one be swallowed up with too much sorrow." Paul was showing compassion. "Therefore I urge you to reaffirm your love to him".  Paul noted that he also had forgiven him--"lest Satan should take advantage of us; for we are not ignorant of his devices"(---or are we?).

Paul draws an unusual analogy for believers: He says "God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.  To the one we are the aroma of death leading to death, and to the other the aroma of life leading to life". I first came across this verse as I was preparing to go on a mission trip to Senegal in West Africa. I was so afraid to go.  I hated flying and had never flown overseas. When my daughter said "Let's go!" I quickly responded, "Are you crazy!"?  God was so merciful to me in my weakness and my lack of vision.  He gently led me all the way and inspired me with this verse. I thought I was going there to serve others.  I was the recipient of too many blessings to count and God "grew me" through this experience.

Paul went on to say we are not "peddling the word of God; but as of sincerity, but as from God, we speak in the sight of God in Christ".  I was such a "spiritual baby" when I took the trip to Senegal, yet God planted a sincere desire in my heart to go and I allowed Him to take me not only to a physical place I had never been, but also to a spiritual place that I had never been with Him. God is more than willing when we are willing to trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment