Monday, September 2, 2013

Diversity in Unity - Day 244 Through the Bible

Monarch Merry-Go-Round - in the cabin garden near Mt. Celo Church
My Lessons, Applications, Conundrums from Today's Readings

From Nightmares, to Wooing, to Invitation - Song of Solomon 3, 4 - (What it Says, Summarized) The young woman appears to still be dreaming, "by night on my bed I sought the one I love; I sought him, but I did not find him."  Even her search for him in the streets at night seems to be a restless dream, not being able, as yet, to consummate the marriage, to have him as her own.  That she brings him "to the house of her mother, and into the chamber of her who conceived me" also lends itself to a probable dream state as well as the refrain from chapter 1 repeated, "Do not stir up nor awaken love until it pleases."  The groom appears in royal splendor "with the crown with which his mother crowned him on his wedding day."  Then the groom effusively praises his bride for her beauty, her sexuality, her virginity.  She answers with an invitation of consummation to her betrothed.

My Lessons and Applications - Conundrums - In yesterday's post, I indicated my difficulties with understanding this book because of the contradictory expository teachings I have heard and read on it through the years and the 1000 wives and concubines that Solomon had that 1 Kings 11 says were the main reason for his and the nation's idolatry and downfall.  Some say this book is simply a one-day view of the romantic ideal.  Some say Solomon is the groom, some say he is a witness or even interferes in the marriage.  Most (Spurgeon and many Jewish Rabbinical teachings) view this song as an allegory of Christ's love for Israel and the Church.  I cannot recall that God is mentioned in this book by name (as is the case in the book of Esther as well, though God's Sovereignty and Providence are evidenced throughout Esther.)  The Geneva Study Bible makes an interesting comment: "The family structure reflected in the Song appears to be matriarchal (1:6;3:4;6:9;8:1,2,5.)  There is no reference to a father, and within the relationship between the lovers there appears to be a mutuality.  But there are, nonetheless, elements of male dominance in the Song, notably the roles played by the girl's brothers and the watchmen." Malachi 2:10-16 speaks of God's view of "the wife of one's youth."

Spiritual Gifts With Love, Diversity in Unity, Jesus is Lord - 1 Corinthians 12:1-31 and by necessity - 13 (What It Says - Summarized) - The Apostle Paul:  1) "No one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit." (12:3)  2) "There are diversity of gifts but one Spirit...there are differences of ministries, but the same Lord...there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all." 3) The manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all." 4) "One is given...the word of wisdom through the Spirit; another...the word of knowledge through the same Spirit; another...faith by the same Spirit; another...gifts of healing by the same Spirit; another...the working of miracles by the same Spirit; another...discerning of spirits; another...different kinds of tongues; another...the interpretation of tongues."  5) "But...one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills"....6) "by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body...Now indeed there are many members, yet one body."  7) "God has appointed these in the church: 1st...apostles; 2nd...prophets...3rd...teachers...after that miracles...then gifts of healing...helps...administrations...varieties...tongues.  But earnestly desire the best gifts.  Yet I will show you a more excellent way." (Then follows the "Love" Chapter.)

My Lessons and Applications - I am not sure it is a good thing to separate chapters 12 and 13 by a day of contemplation.  Unfortunately, I think many churches and professing Christians have separated these chapters as a course of life and ministry.  Paul will go on to say that none of the gifts are profitable - "I am nothing" without love.  He says,"prophecies will fail, tongues will cease, knowledge will vanish, but love never fails."  As I reflect on this in regards to the Song of Solomon, I wonder if this is what the great king lacked as well - love for God, love for his wives. Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines (1 Kings 11:3) and yet declares in Ecclesiastes 7:27-28, '"Here is what I have found', says the Preacher, 'Adding one thing to the other to find out the reason, which my soul still seeks but cannot find:  One man among a thousand I have found, but a woman among all these I have not found."'  1 Cor. 13: 13: "And now abide faith, hope and love, but the greatest of these is love."  This is God's greatest gift to me - to love me just as I am, to love me so much that He sacrificed His beloved Son so I might have eternal fellowship with holy God.  My love is my greatest gift back to Him - and to others - in His name.  My spiritual gift will only find its efficacy in that love.  Am I remembering to return to this basic truth when man's perspective overwhelms God's perspective in my life, when works take precedence over love for God and one another?

The gospel of Christ is very simple...permanently true...gentle...very loving... and holy.  (In regards to love)...The gospel is very loving.  It is the message of "the God of love" (2 Cor. 13:11) to a lost and fallen human race.  Christ's last command to His disciples was, "Love one another" (John 13:34). Oh, how we need more unity among believers, a real and vigorous love for all God's saints, and a more tender compassion for the souls of the worst and vilest of mankind.  
Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

No comments:

Post a Comment