Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Life Under the Sun - Day 239 Through the Bible

Celebrating an upcoming birth - a new life - at one of the non-profits in Burnsville, NC, near Mt. Celo Church yesterday.  How humbling it was to see the loving generosity of those with very little material wealth celebrate the joy and blessing of a last birth and a first daughter for a member of their community!
My Lessons and Applications from Today's Readings

"Horizontal Living" (Focus on Earth) - Ecclesiastes 4, 5 and 6 (What It Says - Summarized) King Solomon's book gives us wisdom from the horizontally-fixed wisdom of living.  He moves from viewing life "under the sun" from a mere "me, myself, I, mine" perspective that resulted in depression, vanity and a grasping of the wind to a view of life for man in general "under the sun." Life observations of King Solomon: 1) There is great oppression of men on earth and no comforter for them - but power on the side of the oppressors.  It is better to be dead; better yet to never have been born and have seen this evil work; 2) There is envy of the man who is skillful in his work and toil.  It is better to have "a handful with quietness than both hands full together with toil and grasping for the wind." 3) The solitary life with no end to toil and no satisfaction with riches is vanity and a grave misfortune.  It is better to have a companion to lift up, comfort, and protect each other. 4) It is better to be a poor and wise youth than an old and foolish king.  Solomon's Life Lessons: 1) Fear God- "walk prudently when you go to the house of God - draw near to hear - not to give the sacrifice of fools, for they do not know that they do evil." Do not let your words cause you to sin. 2) "Do not marvel at the oppression of the poor and the violent perversion of justice and righteousness." 3) "The profit of the land is for all, even the king is served from the field." 4)"He who loves silver will not be satisfied with silver." 5) The sleep of a laboring man is sweet." 6) "A severe evil I have seen...riches kept for the owner to his hurt...that perish from great misfortune...and he has much sorrow, sickness and anger" 7) "It is good to eat, drink, and enjoy the good of one's labor and toil...for he will not dwell unduly on the days of his life... because God keeps him busy with the joy of his heart." 7) "All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the soul is not satisfiedFor who knows what is good for man in life, all the days of his vain life which he passes like a shadow?  Who can tell a man what will happen after him under the sun?"

"Vertical Living" (Focus on God) - 1 Corinthians 9:1-27 (What It Says - Summarized) - The Apostle Paul discusses labor and toil and earned reward.  He reminds the church at Corinth, 1) "The Lord commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel."  But Paul...determines not to take remuneration from the church...that he cannot but preach the gospel...and that is his reward..."that when I preach the gospel, I may present the gospel of Christ without charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel." 2) "Though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more...now this I do for the gospel's sake, that I may be a partaker of it with you." 3) Paul's Life Lesson:  "Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run the race in such a way that you my obtain it. Everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things.  Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we, for an imperishable crown.  Therefore, I run thus:  not with uncertainty.  Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air.  But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified."

My Lessons and Applications - It is revelatory to watch the progression of Solomon's thinking.  He has moved away from the total preoccupation of self in the beginning of the book to a contemplation now of the warp and woof of life for all men.  He speaks truth, but without a Biblical eternal perspective.  He is still primarily focused on the riches and wealth and the attainment of them and at last progresses to the statement that believers have all discovered: "All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the soul is not satisfied."  And from the wisest man ever to live, this final statement at this point in his contemplation of life "under the sun": "For who knows what is good for man in life, all the days of his vain life which he passes like a shadow?  Who can tell a man what will happen after him under the sun?"  The wise king realizes he has only questions - no answers at this point in his contemplation. Paul, on the other hand, has found his calling, his soul's satisfaction.  It is not in monetary reward or accumulation.  It is in preaching the gospel, in being a servant to all in order to bring more to Christ.  It is a life lived to the glory of God with the reward of eternal life in His presence.  Solomon speaks of life as "vanity - a grasping of wind."  Nothing satisfies the deep needs of his soul.  Paul knows his crown is imperishable.  His fight is not a grasping of the wind - "not as one who beats the air."  His body - his mind, his perspective - is in subjection to the Word of God, to obedience of God, to walk the talk he preaches to others.  When life becomes overwhelming, when all the hard toil and labor seem to have turned to ashes or bring no satisfaction to my soul and spirit, do I remember to refocus my mind on God's Word, to walk in obedience to Him and with Him, that the consolation and satisfaction of my soul are not found "under the sun"? Solomon feared God at this point in his life journal, but there is no personal relationship there, no comfort, no meaning to life, no assurance of a life now and eternally with God.  Do you have this?  Do I?  Am I living a horizontal or vertical life?  This will determine my perspective "under the sun."  This will determine whether or not "all is well with my soul."

One of the most impacting studies of Scripture I have heard was an expository preaching and study of the book of Ecclesiastes I sat under by a successful Oklahoman oilman and Dallas Theological Seminary graduate.  He is also a popular men's Bible study teacher in Oklahoma.  I hope you will take time to listen to each of his messages on this book.  I think it will be a great blessing to you: 

No comments:

Post a Comment