Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Call to Unity - But Not at the Expense of the Gospel - Day 229 Through the Bible

This week in the cabin garden - near Mt. Celo Church
My Lessons and Applications from Today's Readings
(Ellipses are mine and are used for contemplation.)

Job's Final Words on Faith, Faithlessness and Wisdom to His Friends - Job 27 and 28 - "As God lives, who has taken away my justice; and the Almighty, who has made my soul bitter...as long as my breath is in me, and the breath of God in my nostrils...my lips will not speak wickedness...nor my tongue utter deceit...far be it from me that I should say you are right...till I die I will not put away my integrity from me...my righteousness I hold fast, and will not let it go."  Job then gives his view of the hypocrite, the wicked, the oppressor that he has personally observed in his own walk with God.  "For what is the hope of the hypocrite, though he may gain much, if God takes away his life?  Will God hear his cry when trouble comes upon him?  Will he delight himself in the Almighty?  Will he always call on God...why then do you behave with complete nonsense?...Where can wisdom be found?  Where is the place of understanding? And to man, He said...'Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom, and to depart from evil is understanding.'"

A Call to Unity - but Not at the Expense of the Gospel - Romans 16 - One of Paul's great themes in this epistle to the Romans has been unity in the Spirit, being of one mind, being like-minded.  Here we are given a warning by the apostle, an exception to this call:  "Now I urge you, brethren... note...those who cause divisions...and offenses...contrary to the doctrine...which you have learned...and...avoid them.  For those who are such do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but...their own belly...and by smooth words...and flattering speech...deceive...the hearts...of the simple.  For your...obedience...has become known to all.  Therefore I am glad on your behalf; but...I want you to...be wise...in what is good...and... simple concerning evil.  And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly."

My Lessons and Applications - 1) The book of Job is illustrative of Paul's warning about the need for unity - but not at the expense of violating God's Word.  We have watched as Job's friends/counselors have tormented him with half-baked truths, useless or misapplied platitudes, and false accusations that are deep cruelty against the man whom God Himself calls righteous and blameless.  Job does not "go along to get along."  He calls them on their erroneous doctrine and wickedness.  He continually refocuses his mind away from them and on God.  The friends' statements about Job's sin causing his suffering are reflective of what we still see thousands of years later - both in the secular and believing communities.  This astounds me considering the suffering and passion of Jesus Christ on the earth as well as the cruel treatment, rejection and martyrdom of most of the prophets and the apostles.  How can professing believers join in this diatribe against godly people enduring suffering?  How can believers, who should have a thorough understanding of the entire Bible, but especially of the statements made by Christ Himself, not understand that we are called to follow Him in His suffering?  Are we thoroughly acquainted with Christ's teachings on this?  Why do we still see so many believers falling for the "health, wealth and prosperity" gospel?  2) Job contemplates wisdom and understanding - for that is what he needs in his tragedy.  He knows these are not with man; they are not found in his circumstances.  God says to man that wisdom is fear of the Lord, and understanding is to depart from evil. (Job 28:28)  Job vows to do just this - to depart from evil because of his fear of the Lord.  "Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him...not speak wickedness, not utter deceit, will not put away my integrity from me, will hold fast and not let go of my righteousness." (Job 13:15; 27:4-6)  3) This wisdom and understanding with which Job grappled thousands of years earlier, is called for by Paul with his contemporaries.  Be in unity with believers, but...be wise...some in your midst may be pretenders, deceivers, divisive - interested only in promoting themselves or their own hidden agendas - not the Lord and His gospel.  Gain understanding - know what is good.  This comes from a thorough personal reading and application of Scripture - not what we have been told the Bible says.  There may be a great deal of difference in these two.  One of the books I read this week (I think the Hilary Mantel book about Thomas Cromwell) said something to the effect of: "Read the Bible.  You will be amazed at what it doesn't say!"  Am I reading, studying, applying the Word of God to my daily walk?  Do I maintain a constant walk and prayer life with God, walking each moment of each day with the Lord, committing each moment and my life to Him for His glory?

For more on this topic of suffering, I hope you will listen to today's sermon:  "Man of Sorrows - Part 2" - found under the Ministry of the Word audio recordings on the right sidebar of this blog.  (It should be uploaded within 24 hours.)


Now I beseech you, brothers, mark them which cause divisions and offenses contrary to the doctrine which you have learned…
Some of the old Roman walls are compacted with such excellent cement that it would be almost impossible to separate one stone from another; in fact, the whole mass has become so consolidated that you cannot distinguish one stone from another. Happy the Church thus built up, where each cares not only for his own prosperity, but for the prosperity of all. And yet, what are some Churches but semi-religious clubs, mere conventions of people gathered together? They have not in them that holy soul which is the essence of unity. The body would soon become disjointed if the soul were not in it; and if the Spirit of Christ be absent, the whole fabric of the outward Church falls to pieces; for where there is no life there can be no true union.  (C. H. Spurgeon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment