Friday, March 1, 2013

Consecrate My Life to Thee - Day 60 Through the Bible

A Sunday Drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway section between Celo and Asheville, NC with my daughter after the 11:00 service at Mt. Celo Church 
My Lessons and Applications from Today's Readings

The Levitical Bilateral Covenant / Blessings or Curses (Leviticus 26) - If you...then I.  God demands a faith shown through actions...if you walk...keep...perform...obey...do...observe My commandments, statutes.  It was not enough to believe.  True faith is lived out and produces fruit and receives blessings from God.  On the other hand, God made it very clear that curses would follow if the Israelites did not obey, do, observe all His commandments (Lev. 26)  The greatest blessing (v 12), "I will walk among you and be your God, and you shall be My people."  The greatest curse (v 36), "My soul shall abhor you."  The New Testament also speaks of genuine faith revealing itself through action:  "Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say,You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works." (James 2:17-18) "By their fruits you will know them."(Matthew 7:20)

Reflection - This is where I believe the OT and the NT - the Old Covenants and the New Covenant differ in an area rarely discussed - at least in my Bible studies through the years.  The NT does not promise material blessings.  It does promise that we, as disciples of Christ, will share in His sufferings.  I have rarely heard this preached from the pulpit, but I see it strongly taught in the NT. It does promise His greater presence with us every moment through His Holy Spirit, which enables us to persevere as saints.  Am I following the Holy Spirit's leading, His teaching as this world economic, political, moral system continues to deteriorate?  Am I willing and able through Him to stand in His teachings - regardless of life circumstances?

Consecration/Dedication - Holy to the LORD - (Leviticus 27 and Psalm 29: 1-2)  God speaks to Moses of lives and material possessions consecrated, devoted to Him - whether persons, land, animals, houses - these become holy to the LORD, a holy offering to Him.  This importance of holiness - separateness to God - is repeated at least 8 times in this one chapter.  In the NT, this is carried over into tithing - into giving money - willingly, without compulsion - to the LORD.  But, in my study through the years, it is the life dedicated to God that is most important to Him.  If that reality exists, then we understand that everything we own - even our lives - are just giving back to Him what is already His.  The land, animals, houses, money, works, our lives - are just casting crowns before Him.  …"the twenty-four elders fall down before Him who sits on the throne and worship Him who lives forever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying: “You are worthy, O LORD, 
To receive glory and honor and power;
 For You created all things,
And by Your will they exist and were created." (Rev. 4: 10-11)  "Give unto the LORD, O you mighty ones, Give unto the LORD glory and strength, Give unto the LORD the glory due His name, Worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness."

To Do Evil is Like Sport to a Fool - (Proverbs 10:23)  I think this one line of wisdom speaks to so much of what I have personally witnessed in human depravity.  We often fall so low, that it is not just greed, control, power, that motivates evil intentions.  I have actually known people who pursued malevolence like a sport.

Traditions of Men / Spirit of the Law - As usual, Jesus cuts to the core with His truth.  We turn traditions of our own into holiness to ourselves instead of allowing God's Word and His Spirit to renew us - to make our hearts, souls, minds and lives holy and consecrated, dedicated to Him, for Him, to impact the world for His kingdom.  Jesus quotes Isaiah's prophesy (29:13):  "This people honors Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me, and in vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men." Am I living by philosophies taught by a church, a creed, a political system...or by the Word of God?  Am I carefully studying God's Word, in constant prayer and communion with Him and the leading of His Holy Spirit within me - to stay faithful to Him alone.





No comments:

Post a Comment