Saturday, June 1, 2013

Impressed With God?---Day 151 Through the Bible

                                                            Consider the lilies of the field. . .
                                                        even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
                                                                   (Matthew 6:28-29)       

We read a few days ago that God was pleased with Solomon's request for "an understanding heart" to judge Israel.  He was so pleased that He told Solomon: "I have given you a wise and understanding heart, so that there has not been anyone like you before you, nor shall any like you arise after you. And I have also given you what you have not asked: both riches and honor, so that there shall not be anyone like you among the kings all your days" (I Kings 3:12-13).

Solomon is still known today for his wisdom and his riches.  However, rather than standing in awe of Solomon, should we not be impressed with God?  After all, Solomon's wisdom and riches came from the storehouse of God!  In Deuteronomy 8:18, God says, "But you shall remember the Lord your God: for it is He that gives you power to get wealth".  The wisdom and splendor of Solomon was a showcase right out of God's treasury.  "The king made silver as common in Jerusalem as stones" (I Kings 10:27).  "Now all the earth sought the presence of Solomon to hear his wisdom, which God had put in his heart" (verse 24).  "All King Solomon's drinking vessels were gold" (verse 21).  And, just picture the ivory throne described in verses 18-20,---a great throne of ivory overlaid with pure gold, it had six steps and the top of the throne was round at the back, two lions stood at the armrests, twelve lions stood on each side of the six steps--"nothing like this had been made for any other kingdom".

The Queen of Sheba heard of the fame of Solomon and came to see for herself.  She summed up what she saw by saying this, "It was a true report which I heard in my own land about your words and your wisdom. . indeed the half was not told me.  Your wisdom and prosperity exceed the fame of which I heard" (I Kings 10).  She also noticed that Solomon's servants seemed happy (verse 8).  It is remarkable that the Queen of Sheba praised God for what she saw:  "Blessed be the Lord your God, who delighted in you, setting you on the throne of Israel! Because the Lord has loved Israel forever, therefore He made you king, to do justice and righteousness" (verse 9).  She was definitely impressed by Solomon's wisdom and riches and evidently impressed with God!

Here in Western North Carolina, I wake up each day surrounded by stately evergreens and hardwoods. I walk on a lush green carpet of grass.  Above my head is a blue canopy complete with contrasting fluffy white clouds.  At night the canopy turns into a dome of sparkling diamonds and my path is illuminated by a celestial body that changes from a crescent to a perfect orb in approximately a month's time. At dawn I am awakened as the sun rises over the Blue Ridge mountains and the sky changes gradually to hues of pink and red. I am greeted by the sounds of singing birds and fresh air.  I take the stone path into my small garden that is bordered by greenery and accented with blooming flowers. I catch a contrasting glimpse of color as a bright yellow butterfly sails past. I am often entertained by a bird splashing in the birdbath. The glory of my simple little garden is not mine to claim, it belongs to God, and I enjoy my little space so much more when I consider that all of this is brought to me courtesy of God's love and creativity.  Yes, I am definitely impressed with God!

"Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love him" (I Corinthians 2:9).




No comments:

Post a Comment