Friday, February 22, 2013

Cleansing the Leper and the Sinner - Day 53 Through the Bible


Ayles Creek that flows through Celo Lands near Mt. Celo Church
My Contemplations/Lessons/Applications from Today's Readings

Leviticus 14:1-57 is a continuation of the OT Levitical laws for leprosy and the plague.  The symbolism between our unclean state as sinners before a Holy God and that of the OT leper as well as the ceremonies and rites necessary for cleansing - have been the topic of many great theologians throughout the ages.  (See Charles Spurgeon's sermon from the year 1860, The Cleansing of the Leper).   But this is what struck me in today's reading:  "This is the law...TO TEACH...when it is clean and unclean. (Lev. 14:57 - emphasis is mine).  This also has been the subject of many Biblical scholars and of the Apostle Paul - that the OT law was a tutor/schoolmaster - to teach us...to make us aware of the seriousness of sin, of our inability to satisfy the demands of the law, of the need for a permanent blood sacrifice to take away the penalty of these sins for which we could not make adequate atonement...to realize the need for Christ.  (Galatians 3:24)

Psalm 26:1-5 is a Psalm that I have often prayed to God - just as King David did - in humanly hopeless, helpless situations.  "O LORD, vindicate me...examine me...prove me...try me...know my love, devotion, trust in You and Your truth...that I have determined to not sit with...go in with...and hate the assembly of evildoers...hypocrites...the wicked.  I know I need to continually come before God for His redirection of me when I may be straying from His will, His truth or becoming too attached to the way the world operates.

Proverbs 10-:6-7 is a reminder to me when I become disheartened - when I see the wicked prospering and the godly righteous suffering.  How can anyone deny the wisdom of the Bible?  Think of the thousands of years that have elapsed since this writing, and yet many of us must be saying as we read this, "How very true!" in parts and "When, Father?" in others!  As believers, we know the eventual answer to this last question, but as always the waiting is so very hard.

Mark 3: 20-35 -  The Unpardonable Sin - 28-30  Charles Stanley devotes an entire page to this in the Life Principles Daily Study Bible.  He states:  "That is the essence of the unpardonable sin.  The Pharisees chose to reject the work of the Holy Spirit for their own greedy purposes. They lied saying that what Jesus had done was the work of Satan.  That is defiant, irreverence toward the work of God." Dr. Stanley goes on to say that this sin was only possible while Jesus was on the earth - that "Christ's crucifixion and resurrection changed everything".  (pg. 224)  He does believe there is still an "unpardonable state when people choose to reject the Lord Jesus after hearing the good news of salvation."  From my readings through the Bible for years, I also believe there is a point when there is no longer pardon.  Yes, Christ does forgive all sins (John 2:1-2 and many others), but Christ Himself calls for the necessity of repentance.  One of the most sobering, impacting passages in the Bible in my life - especially in regards to my concern for the salvation of those I love - is Romans 1 - particularly verses 18-32.  I think it speaks a great deal to the "unpardonable sin."

We are all spiritual lepers.  Hidden, unfelt, unconfessed sinfulness is the true leprosy, but once sin is acknowledged and felt it has received its deathblow...and the great heart of Love will look upon the person who sees nothing but sickness within himself and "shall pronounce that person clean" when he trusts in Jesus crucified..."Come to Me, all you are weary and burdened (with sin).  Matt. 11:28
From Morning and Evening by Charles H. Spurgeon

No comments:

Post a Comment